31 Jan Paleo Dinner: Cauliflower Rice
One of the things that I will occasionally splurge on is rice. I love sushi and it’s not very fulfilling to me to just eat slices of raw fish. With that said, rice in a dish isn’t something that I’ve missed at all.
But when this recipe for takeout-inspired Orange Sesame Chicken darkened my kitchen, I knew I had to serve it with something like rice.
I’ve tried cauliflower mashed potatoes to no success, so I wasn’t all that optimistic about cauliflower “rice.” But while I wasn’t optimistic, I was hopeful.
And it turned out damn good.
So get out your food processor and get ready for the easiest and tastiest way to get add in a veggie!
- 1 head cauliflower trimmed (or save some time and buy the bag already trimmed from Costco)
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup finely sliced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Get your food processor out and find the grating attachment. On low speed slowly feed the florets through the processor until grated into “rice grains.”
Hint: You can also use a cheese grater, but that’s way less fun.
- Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until almost translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add in the riced cauliflower and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, and then cover and steam for 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.